Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Internship Updates

I got my first reply from the REU internships I've been applying to yesterday. Shannon Point Marine Center has sadly not hired me. However, they did get an astounding 119 applicants for 8 positions, very few of whom were unqualified. They had to narrow down the field by limiting it to marine science majors with at least junior status, of which I am neither. So, I have two more REU's to hear back from, one should come in the next few days and the other I'll find a out about in mid-April.

In the meantime, I have been having fun looking up internships with the Students Conservation Association (SCA), an organization that works to get young adults outdoorsy, science based positions within the nationally owned lands; National Parks, Naval bases, Wildlife Refuges, etc. These applications are actually fairly easy because you simply sign up on their website and check the internships that you're interested in. Then you do the application (which after the REU apps is a breeze) then SCA sends your application to all the intern directors from the positions you indicated. I have indicated interest in 20 internships (they suggest that you apply to as many as you find interesting in order to increase your chances of being accepted). The most interesting internship I have found is at the US Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I'm not sure if I'm quite qualifies for this one, they want a lot, but I figured I'd apply; what other students (or anyone for that matter) can say they've studied wildlife in Cuba. Thus far my application has been forwarded to one Forest Service park (which is pretty good seeing as I only applied a day or two ago): the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. I have to call them within the week to set up a phone interview.

Finals Update:
They suck. Calculus melted my brain this morning, but after a scare of not remembering how to do several big problems I was able to slow down and figure it all out. I think I'll do well...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Very cool. Is there one at Olympic National Park?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a few at Olympic National Park as well as Mount Rainier, but you need a personal vehicle. I applied to ones that a vehicle wasn't required.

    ReplyDelete