Sunday, September 23, 2012

Paralympics 2012

During the three day orientation I had in London a few weeks ago for GlobaLinks, the program I came here with, we had the opportunity to go to the Paralympics!

Street flags with the London Olympics symbol were decorated like participating countries' flags

One night we went to Olympic Park to see some of the Athletics (aka Track and Field) events. 

Events were interspersed with awards ceremonies. Most everyone decided to leave after the biggest events were done. I stayed until the last event - women's discus, was finished up for the evening. 

Olympic Stadium!

Me with my ticket outside the stadium!

On my way back to the hotel I got into two separate conversations with Londoners amazed that I was here. They couldn't believe I had come all the way from Seattle. I think they thought I was here for just the Paralympics. While the Olympics was very international the Paralympics was viewed by many Londoners as the better event to go to as it was cheaper and easier to get into. But still! I was quite surprised by their surprise. 

The next day we had a day pass to the Olympic Park which allows access to any spare seats in the buildings in sections that aren't prepaid. We wanted to see wheelchair rugby but it was too full. We watched football (soccer) instead. Caught the last half of Ukraine v I Don't Remember and then saw the first half of United States v. Great Britain! 

Team USA on the left aka Team Waldo

The stadium was packed with Team GB fans. The six of us from GlobaLinks were a small pocket of American pride among the GB horde. We sang the national anthem when it came on but there was only so much we could do. Not many Americans were around so it sounded very quiet. The British folks filled the stadium with sound as they sang God Save the Queen.  


1 comment: