Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kalamazoo Nature Center - A place for work but also groceries!

It has been a week already! Wake up number seven while working for the Kalamazoo Nature Center was at 5:45 this morning. I have already become accustomed to the necessary early mornings. Today I forgot to even set an alarm!

The Banding Barn. I report to work here most mornings. 

Nets are opened each day at 7:15. Every hour until 1:15 we go on net runs to see what has flown in. Between net runs we process the birds, fix old nets, or get some bunny love!

Brownie does not approve of bunny love time each morning. Whitey (who is getting love while I take this picture) puts up with it. 

The Nature Center has a few farm animals that it takes care of during the peak summer season for people to see and summer camp kids to learn from. Most have gone back to the people who donated them for the summer but bunnies and chickens have yet to find a home. That is fine with us! Each morning we feed them, get some loving and and occasionally eggs! 

Free chicken eggs!

From these chickens!

Elsewhere on nature center property are a few apple trees. By far the most popular among us volunteers and interns is a macintosh tree. Everyday I stop by to pick a few apples to snack on. Day before yesterday I picked a grocery bag full to make applesauce. It turned out so well! The apples are so sweet that all I added was a spoonful of molasses and a few dashes of cinnamon.   

Just one low branch of a very large tree. Sometime soon we will bring a car and just go crazy picking all the apples from the high branches. 

Applesauce!!

Everyone here has been so incredibly wonderful. I have learned so much about Kalamazoo and bird banding in the last week. I can't wait to see what else I will learn before I have to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment