Sunday, November 15, 2009

It Was a Good Weekend

This weekend was amazing, I had so much fun! Partying, rugby, capture the flag, homework, meeting people, dressing up, Girl Scouts!

For about a week, some girls from the rugby team had been preparing a huge game of capture the flag: boys rugby v. girls rugby and friends for both sides. It turned out though that the boys had a game Saturday so they went to sleep early instead of running around in the dark late at night (I know, lame right?) and it was cold so most of the people who said they were going to show up didn't. It ended up with approximately 20 people, mostly girls from the team, but a few boys that had heard about it through the grapevine. We split into even teams and the game began. Our "field" was Red Square and the buildings around it. After an hour of running around neither team had managed to get the flag across the line so it was declared a stale mate with a rematch planned for later (hopefully with more people in attendance).

Saturday was a busy day for me... I woke up at 6:30 to go to a martial arts class that I have to walk two miles to. The class was really good that day, I learned a lot. And for the first time pretty much ever, the girls outnumbered the boys...crazy... Well, I got back to campus around 10:30. At 12:15 I made my way to Arntzen Hall where Girl Scouts from all over the state were coming to get a tour of Western behind the scenes, ask questions, and go to a volleyball game. As a Campus Girl Scout I was a tour leader and question answerer. The girls ranged from 4th - 12th grade. My tour group was on average in 8th grade. I liked them because they had lots of questions so there was always something to talk about and show off my knowledge. The first thing everyone did together was go to Carver Gymnasium and meet the girls volleyball team. That was one of the few times I've been dwarfed by such a large number of women all at one time. Outside of one girl, everyone was 5'10" (my height) or taller. Anyway, everyone got to ask the women questions, get their autographs and cool posters.

From the gym, my group went to the planetarium which was super c
ool! I had never been before. It was really interesting! And I think the show changes depending on the season because we mostly focused on constellations seen in the winter.

Next we went to the Environmental Science building to meet a grad student studying geology. He showed us several wave pools they have on the basement floor to study erosion. I thought it was pretty interesting and while he was a great teacher, his vocabulary was a little above the levels of these girls, though I think they still thought it was cool.
All the girls listening to the geology Grad

So this was now 5:20, and while the girls were getting a tour of a few of the residence halls I skipped out because I had other plans. My floor was having a night out as an excuse to dress up. We all prettied up and went to Jalapenos, a Mexican restaurant in downtown Bellingham. Because there were several other large groups (there were 14 of us) we all had to pack onto a table that probably should have held 8-10 people. It was definitely interesting. The food was great though! When we were leaving a group of boys walked in and we all got some looks, it was fun :). We wanted a picture of all of us together in front of the restaurant but we neede someone to take the picture. One of the best dressed of all of us went back in to ask the boys group, she says that one that took the picture nearly jumped up.
A few of usAll of us!
Photo Credit: Kendra


When we arrived back at Mathes I got ready for a party. It was a Revenge of the Nerds themed party so everyone was supposed to dress up as some sort of nerd: stereotypical school nerd, star wars, trekkie, LOTR, LARPer (live action role play). I had decided earlier in the week that I was going to be a Star Wars nerd and dress up as Princess Leia mostly because I have enough hair that I could make the buns over my ears. Sadly though I had run out of time to go to Value Village to get some white clothes. I asked around my floor and it turned out my RA had a white dress she would let me wear. The dress is see through though and I had to find something to wear under it and my black spandex wasn't flattering or Leia-ish. I saw my Gi pants and they were perfect! (Gi being my martial arts outfit that you wear with the belt and what-not). Add my metal belt and do my hair and it was awesome!! Everyone loved my costume at the party. I finally went to sleep 3:30 Sunday morning.
I should have gotten a picture of the hair...

ME!
Photo Credit: Socoe

Leia, along with a band geek, Eragorn, and a LARPer

After going to brunch on Sunday I made my way back to the house where the party took place (it was a friend's house) to see if they needed any help cleaning up. They had already picked up all the trash, but after they finished with breakfast I helped them sweep and mop. Them hung out for most of the afternoon before going back to Western for dinner.

Best weekend yet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment