Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Winter Quarter

Today was the first school day of winter quarter up here in Bellingham, and so far so good. This quarter I have three classes adding up to 14 credits. Even with the credit count being less than optimal I'm still happy with the schedule I have because every class counts as a prerequisite for my major, General University Requirement, or both. I'm rather proud of myself for sitting down and figuring out what classes I could take that would count for multiple programs. The timing of the classes just worked out to get less credits than I particularly wanted. O well! I'll be fine. I think I have planned well enough that i can get most of my major requirements done by the end of the year!

So, my classes:

Chemistry 122 (5)
This is simply the next part of the chemistry series. I may actually learn something new this quarter though! Chem 121 was mostly a review of what I learned from high school. I signed up for the same professor as I had last quarter because I understand his teaching style and he's a really good teacher. I also like that he knows my name :).

Math 124 (5)
Calculus. Blah. The teacher, while easily distracted, is thorough and uses lots of examples. If I learned my lesson that it's actually helpful to study from Math 118* (pre-calc) and couple that with the fact I took calculus in high school last year, I think I can do well in this class.
*just a note, I did fine in pre-calc, I got a C+. I would just prefer to do better.

Economics 206 (4)
Microeconomics. I was not looking forward to this class. It's twice a week for two hours, and economics does not sound particularly fun. However in class today when the professor was talking about what we were going to be studying it seemed really interesting! While this class has some of the most pressure with it, three tests making up 75% of the grade, the teacher seems to understand students (maybe due to the fact he was a student not long ago) and has plenty of office hours in case anyone needs help.

Yay classes!

In other news...
Rugby this quarter is focusing on endurance. Fall quarter was teaching and learning the game so all of us rookies would actually know where to go. Now we need to work on being able to run for the whole game. A full rugby match is 80 minutes, and a good forward should run 3-5 miles in a game. We've only done well this past quarter because we are good technically and haven't played teams with endurance. That is changing this quarter, and now that we know what we're doing we have to improve. We went on a team run last night for about four miles. Team runs are going to start happening at least once a week on top of our normal three practices per week.

1 comment:

  1. I took Econ 206 at WWU, and the only thing wrong with the class was our jackass professor, but he was ancient, so your guy must be different. Given that fact, I'd say that your hopes about it's being interesting will be fulfilled. :-) I guess we'll see whether I'm right or not.

    ReplyDelete