Sunday, January 5, 2014

Skinning a Pheasant - A photo essay

Some family friends stopped by yesterday and in a nice gesture brought a pheasant! 

A lady pheasant!

So today Tom and I learned the fine art of skinning a pheasant. 
With particular thanks to a lovely Brit's YouTube video

Chop off the wings and pull out the tail...


Remove the legs...


If done right, the legs come off with the tendons attached. 
Like this!

That was the leg Tom did. Beautifully done. The leg I was responsible for gave me some troubles. I cut it in the wrong spot so instead of coming off and pulling tendons with it I cut the skin while leaving muscles attached. My attempt to pull dislocated the thigh and nearly pulled the leg off the bird. When re-cut the leg come off with tendons as it was supposed to. Sorry pheasant...

Next, chop off the head...

 Some of the poor girl's last meal fell out...

Cut a slice in the skin above the breast and "peel it off like an overcoat" 
-British Man From YouTube


Cut of the last few pesky tail feathers...

Small slice below the rib cage then dig fingers in to get the gooey bits

Rinse and cook...

Dobrou chuť!
Good taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment