Thursday, September 17, 2009

Moving In

Ignoring a few knick knacks I am as of now officially moved in to my dorm room. Yay!

My mom and I arrived at Western shortly before 11 this morning. After waiting a few minutes in line I picked up my keys and got directions to the Mathes parking lot. Once there we learned the most time consuming part of moving in is the elevator. People were taking everything out of their car, putting it on the side walk, parking the car in the lot and then load by load taking it up to the room. My mom and I decided that she would unload my gear onto the side walk while I took loads up the stairs (it was faster than the elevator). After running a load or two to my room, the gear was all out of the car and then it was just me running up and down the stairs with my mom guarding. The last few things being a box of books and the fridge filled to maximize space I copped out and we took the elevator.

Our next dorm task was to loft my bed. This means setting the bed up several feet off the ground, thus making more space for stuff under it. That was an adventure. Actually checking out the bed parts was easy it took next to no time at all. Setting up the bed was difficult due to the fact they don't give you instructions you are just supposed to know what to do. After arguing over what is supposed to happen we asked the RA how to do it, she didn't know because she had never lofted her bed so she got the 4th floor RA to come and show me how it works. From there it was smooth sailing. :)

In between those lovely tasks of unloading, then lofting my mom and I met up with my brother to go to lunch. We went to a restaurant called the Old Town cafe. It was very good and I really look forward to going there again.

After lofting my bed my mom left and for the next few hours i was just setting up my space! :) At 8PM all the HELPs in Mathes got together in the lounge to get to know each other (which mostly involved playing games). It was fun but I'm not very good in those situations. Once I'm out doing things it will get easier to know people :)


Bed and desk

My half of the room


Book shelf

2 comments: